OSSO Indoor Volleyball Rules
1. General League Rules and Information
- Matches will begin promptly at 6:30, 7:15, 8:00, 8:45 & 9:30
- B.Y.O.A— NO GLASS!!
- Alcohol must stay in the bleachers and cannot be brought on the court
- In case of severe weather, official word about cancellation will be emailed between 4:00 pm & 5:00 pm
- Teams must use the designated balls provided by OSSO
- At least 6 players must be present to begin a match including 2 girls, unless agreed upon by both captains (for regular season games).
- If a team is more than 15 minutes late that team will forfeit that match, but may still play in their allotted time slot for fun (and may have to buy beers for the other team)
- Captains or designated players of each team will either toss a coin, chug a beer, or rock/paper/scissors to decide which team serves first
- All players must be wearing their designated O.S.S.O team shirts/tank tops
3. Scoring and Match rules
- Each match will be the best of 3 sets (21, 21, 15)
- The method of scoring will be the rally system. (each time the ball hits the ground, someone scored)
- Must win by 2
- Time will be called after the 45 minute time slot is up. Whichever team is winning at that time will be the winner of that match regardless of score
4. Game Play Rules
- HAVE FUN!!!
- Each team must have 2 girls on the court at all times, otherwise the team without the 2 girls forfeits, unless agreed upon by both captains
- No more than 3 hits before returning
- Attacking the serve is prohibited
- Lifts will be allowed unless deemed excessive
- A lift is when the ball sits in your hands for too long, almost as if you caught it
- Don’t catch it and throw it
- There will be no rotation errors called
- A rotation error is when the ball over rotates after a set, again, it will not be called
- A player may not touch the ball 2 consecutive times unless directly after an opposing team member blocked their original touch
- A block does not count as a hit
- If the ball touches the out of bounds line it is considered in
- When the ball is returned, it must stay between the ends of the net
- Any touching of the net during play is prohibited
- Rotation order is left to each individual team, so long as they rotate when they earn the serve and ensure 2 females are on the court at all times
- Players may switch positions with anyone on the court, but may only do so after the serve
- If a player falls underneath the net and makes contact with an opposing player, play will be stopped and a point will be awarded to the opposite team.
- Teams must rotate after changing servers
- Teams will change servers after they have scored on an opponent’s serve
- A back row spike must be performed from behind the “attack line”
- * The attack line is 10 feet from the net
5. Player Conduct
- If you are overly aggressive or inappropriate with another player or referee you may be dismissed for the rest of the season with no refund.
- Lighthearted trash talking is ok.
- Any personal profanity (I.E. “F You”) will dictate an immediate ejection for that player.
- A second event with that same player will cause a rest of season suspension for that player
- Repeated offenses by the same team will result in the entire team being suspended rest of season
- Any other league specific rules that were not addressed in this cheat sheet will be subject to League Manager’s “Spirit of the League” ruling and will be determined with fairness, player safety & fun in mind.
Calls made by OSSO are final! There might be a questionable call from time to time. Relax, you’ll live.