OSSO Sand Volleyball 2s Tournament Rules
1. LIGHTHOUSE Beach Bar Tournament Day Rules
- Persons under 21 years of age are not permitted to play. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!
- Parking is LIMITED! Please carpool
- Plan ahead for a safe ride home if you plan to drink!
- No outside food or beverage allowed (EMPTY personal water containers OK)
- Food Trucks will be on site
- Alcohol will be available to purchase on site
- NO TAILGATING
2. General Tournament Rules
- A team must have a minimum of 2 people registered and paid on the roster
- At least 2 players must be present to begin a match
- Teams not ready at game time will forfeit that game
- Captains or designated players of each team will either toss a coin, chug a beer, or rock/paper/scissors to decide which team serves first
- Roster must be set at least 30 minutes before first match
- A Member of a team may only play on one team during the day
- Each participant must have registered, paid online & signed the online waiver in order to play
- Unsportsmanlike conduct will result in forfeit or removal from the Event and grounds. Including but is not limited to:
- gestures and physical attacks directed toward players, referees, spectators, and/or officials
- If any member of your team is involved in a physical confrontation, your entire team will be disqualified
- Teams must use the designated balls provided by OSSO
3. Scoring and Match rules
- Teams will be randomly drawn and placed into pools that play on the same court throughout pool play, at least 4 matches each, weather permitting. Top 12 teams from the tournament advance to a single elimination tournament.
- Teams advancing from each court in pool play to the tournament are determined in the following order:
- Winner of the most matches on the court
- Total point differential of all matches played
- If there is not a clear winner, one game to 15 will be played to determine which team advances to the playoff
- Round robin matches are for 30 minutes or the best of 3 sets
- The first 2 sets will go to 15 and the 3rd set will go to 11, all must be won by 2
- The method of scoring will be the rally system. (each time the ball hits the ground, someone scored)
- An air horn will be used to time the matches.
- 1 blast of the horn starts the 1st game of the match.
- 2 blasts of the horn will stop the match.
- If 2 blasts of the horn occur to stop the match while a game is in progress, the team ahead in points at that moment in time is the winner.
- If 2 blasts of the horn occur while the ball is in play, the result of that particular play will be counted if a point is scored.
- If 2 blasts of the horn occur when the game is tied, the game will continue ONLY until the next point is scored.
- Teams are asked to leave their courts immediately following the end of their match
- Single Elimination Tournament after pool play
- Tournament Matches will be best of 3 games (21, 21, 15) and are not timed.
4. Weather Policy
- The Tournament may be canceled because of weather if dangerous conditions arise.
- In case of cancellation, winner of the Tournament may be determined by OSSO Sports & Social representative
5. Game Play Rules
- HAVE FUN!!!
- No more than 3 hits before returning
- A team may not open hand received any ball unless it is a hard driven ball (as determined by your ref), however as a general rule of thumb, a hard driven ball is an overhand swing on a ball, regardless of whether or not the opponent jumped
- No open handed dinks
- A Ball may go over on a pass, hit, roll shot or knuckle
- A player may push the ball over, so long as their shoulders are parallel with the net
- Spiking the serve is not allowed
- Ball Rotation will be allowed unless deemed a double touch by your ref
- A rotation error is when the ball over rotates after a set, again, it will not be called
- A player may not touch the ball 2 consecutive times unless directly after an opposing team member blocked their original touch
- A block does not count as a hit
- If the ball touches the out of bounds line it is considered in
- When the ball is returned, it must stay between the ends of the net
- A ball may be played with any part of the body
- Touching the net with any part of the body is a foul
- Teams must rotate after changing servers
- Teams will change servers after they have scored on an opponent’s serve
- If a set incidentally goes into the opponent’s court, that point will be handled as a do over.
- If fighting occurs, the team will be disqualified and required to leave the premises. Protesting will result in individual being disqualified and required to leave premises
Calls made by the OSSO Referee are final! There might be a questionable call from time to time. Relax, you’ll live.